You’ll be involved in your own recovery.
Prolotherapy is an injection treatment that can help to heal musculoskeletal conditions—concerns with your bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and soft tissues.
This treatment can help you if you have:
- Lower back pain
- Joint pain (e.g., knee, hip, shoulder)
- Ligament and tendon injuries
- Sports-related injuries
Prolotherapy works by manually creating the process your body naturally uses to stimulate healing—the process of inflammation. Your naturopathic doctor introduces a small amount of a proliferant—a mild, specialized dextrose (sugar) solution—to weak or damaged tendons, joints or ligaments. The injections cause an inflammatory response that activates your healing process and promotes the growth of normal cells and tissues.
This treatment is sometimes referred to as proliferative or regenerative therapy.
Prolotherapy can help you if you have:
- Ligament Laxity
- Scar tissue causing pain or dysfunction
- Degenerative joint diseases
- Recurring pain from old injuries
Benefits can vary, based on each patient’s personal experience what their goals are. For some it could be the ability to return to a sport or activity, get back to work, or play with their kids in a pain-free way.
- Pain Relief
- Improved function
- Very few side effects with little to no recovery time after treatment
- Can be used with other treatments
You do not need to be an existing patient of the naturopathic doctors to book this appointment.
Dr. Jaime de Melo and Dr. Lorna Ciccone are trained and certified in providing prolotherapy treatments and other pain relieving injection therapies. They will take a detailed history and perform a physical exam to help determine the best course of action, in some cases imaging and blood test results may also be needed.
Subsequent injections may be done at three to six week intervals depending on injury type and overall symptom picture. Patients typically experience benefits from the injections within one to two treatments.
If you have questions about prolotherapy or other health related concerns You can have a free, 15-minute consultation. Contact 250-475-1522, ext 2. and our patient care coordinators will help.
60 minutes (assessment and treatment)
During this time, your naturopathic doctor will:
- Listen to your concerns and health history
- Do an in-depth assessment of your injury or pain
- Consider your body as a whole to determine the nature and cause of your pain or injury
- Discuss their findings with you and answer your questions
- Begin treatment with a prolotherapy injection if indicated
In some cases, your naturopath will:
- Require imaging and/or blood tests to determine the best course of action
- Suggest you begin with a manual therapeutic treatment like physiotherapy, massage therapy or chiropractic care
- Discuss the use of pain medications
- Suggest a home exercise program
About 30 to 45 minutes
Additional prolotherapy injections may be given at three to six-week intervals depending on your injury.
We take an empathetic approach to your care and always provide the most up-to-date information and resources. We want to help you on your journey to recovery.
Not sure where to start? Call 250-475-1522, ext 2. and our patient care coordinators will help.