Acacia Dockside
Book Online

Acacia Westside
Book Online

COVID-19 NOTICE: In person appointments at our Westside location resume June 1, 2020. Please review our Health & Safety Protocols and our full COVID-19 Notice

Guided Imagery & Music Therapy

What is Guided Imagery & Music?

Guided Imagery & Music (GIM) is a method of self-exploration and music therapy developed by Dr. Helen Bonny over 40 years ago. Bonny worked with Stanislav Grof, a renowned psychiatrist, researcher, and one of the founders of transpersonal psychology, studying the therapeutic effects of altered states of consciousness. Out of this, Bonny developed GIM as a music-centered, drug-free approach to explore expanded states of consciousness.

What’s fascinating about GIM is that it integrates so many different experiences and modalities without being reducible to any of them. Parts of it are like meditation, music therapy, dreaming, hypnosis, art therapy, spirit journeys, and counselling and yet it’s not any one of these things. It’s easiest to understand GIM experientially so if you are interested, please feel free to try a 1.5-2 hour introductory session at a reduced fee (30% off) to see if this method is a good fit for you. Tracy is the only counsellor in Victoria accredited to practice GIM. You can address any questions you may have with her by phone, email, or in person through a free 30-minute consultation.

From an evolutionary perspective, thinking in images is much older than thinking in words. Imagery is the language of the unconscious mind. Neuroscientists surmise that perhaps 5% of our actions are consciously determined, which leaves the other 95% to unconscious processing. That is a lot of mind power working beyond our awareness. Accessing the unconscious mind is a powerful way to make change in our lives. It can lead to a deep sense of creativity and integration by exploring parts of our selves we typically ignore.

GIM can be useful for a variety of challenges including depression, anxiety, stress-management, grief and loss, post-traumatic stress, and pain management, to name a few. It does not tackle these directly but works more holistically by helping the client to access inner strengths, gain insight and unblock creativity. GIM is also an excellent tool for personal growth, including exploring spiritual beliefs and life goals.

The Association of Music & Imagery oversees the training and accreditation of GIM practitioners worldwide